Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Phils Clinch, Lose Four Straight

By Amy McCormick

As expected, the Philadelphia Phillies clinched the NL East early this season.  On Saturday night, Roy Oswalt recorded the win against St. Louis.  Oswalt pitched well through seven, and Ibanez tore the game open with a grand slam.  Phils defeated the Cards, 9-2. 

Champagne sprayed from every direction in the clubhouse.  Hunter Pence looked like a five-year-old on Christmas morning.  It was time to celebrate a division five-peat, then regroup and move onto finishing the season.

Well, the celebration happened.  I've yet to see the team move on to finish the season.

The way I see it, our rotation and starting lineup should stay with their routine.  I'd like to see our positinal players put in five innings or so each game.  I know what you're thinking.  "Why risk injury? Why not let them rest? The rest of the season is a waste." I don't see it that way.  I believe in finishing what you start - there are 162 games in the season, and it would be a shame to throw away the last dozen or so games.  Do you really think our opponents want us to call it in?  If we want to get lazy and sloppy at the end, then you might as well  scrap the remainder of the season once we clinch.  Rest is important, but too much will result in rusty post-season performances. 

I've never been an "Oh well, you can't win them all" kind of fan.  There are some games that are sloppy and embarrassing.  There are some teams we should not be handing games to.  This is what frustrates me.  I know that Charlie is very much a laissez-faire manager, but in this instance, I'd like to see him get into some faces and say, "Get your pinstriped ass out there and play ball like you mean it." 

This should not be vacation.  This is prep time for the postseason; the World Series is ours to lose.  I want to see grit and aggressiveness.  These past four games have bored me to tears.  I feel like Curt Schilling with a towel over my face.  Please, Phils, now is not the time for complacency.  Don't run out of steam now.  A great season should end on a high note.

No comments:

Post a Comment