Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Remembering Harry

By Amy McCormick

It was one of those defining moments in our lives that we’ll always remember.  Where were you when you heard that Harry Kalas had passed away two years ago today?  I had my three young children at Smith Memorial Playhouse in Philadelphia when a friend texted me the news.  In disbelief, I felt numb, and needed to sit down.  Normally, the passing of celebrities doesn’t affect me much, and it never really has a personal impact on me.  Harry was different, though.  Having grown up with his voice in my living room, I felt as though it was a family member who had passed. 

I won’t get into Harry’s life story; if you’re interested in reading a good biography, I recommend Harry the K  by Randy Miller. 

Some of us grew up listening to Harry and Whitey call Phillies games.  Some fans didn’t become familiar with Harry until into the 2000s.  Either way, if you were privileged enough to hear Kalas call just one game, you should consider yourself lucky.  Truth be told, I don’t mind McCarthy and Wheeler; they pale in comparison, though.  We were spoiled for so long with that famous baritone voice.  He didn’t just do play by play; he invited us into the game so that we were all a part of the action.  He wasn’t just a man in a booth or a voice on television.  Harry personified the Phillies organization with his spirit, passion, and love of the game. 

No one – and I mean no one – could call a game like Harry did.  I can still hear him very vividly in my mind exclaiming “Struck him ouuttt” and “That ball is outttta heeeere.”   His unmistakable voice will forever be imprinted in my brain.  Kalas was just as much a part of the team as any player, and his passing changed Phillies baseball forever. 

The “HK” patch is gone from the players’ uniforms, and the sign in left field has given way to an advertisement.  He’s far from forgotten, though.  Harry will be immortalized in the form of a statue at Citizens Bank Park, and we get to see and hear him at the conclusion of each game.  If video footage of Harry Kalas singing “High Hopes” doesn’t make you at least a little bit emotional, then nothing will. 

Personally, it makes me happy to know that Harry was able to experience the 2008 World Series with all of us.  My memory isn’t usually that great, but I remember Brad Lidge’s final pitch as if it were yesterday.  I’m not afraid to admit that I get choked up when I think of Harry Kalas announcing, "The 0-2 pitch, swing and a miss! STRUCK HIM OUT! The Philadelphia Phillies are 2008 World Champions of baseball!”

Harry, you will forever be adored and missed by Phillies fans everywhere.  We’ll never stop loving your voice, and we’ll never forget the impact you had on our lives.  Your infectious love of the game made us all better fans.  You weren’t supposed to leave us so soon; you were supposed to live forever.  It’s a small comfort to us that you’re watching over our team.  We love and miss you … rest in peace, Harry.










2 comments: