Monday, April 18, 2011

Citizens Bank Park, My Happy Place

By Amy McCormick

Most of us have memories of Veterans Stadium. I remember attending Phillies and Eagles games when I was younger, and the place was massive.  Once The Vet was demolished, it seemed that a big part of the city was missing, and couldn’t possibly be replaced.  A new ballpark for just the Phillies?  They had played at The Vet for 30 years … I have never dealt well with change.  I was skeptical. 

In April 2004, Citizens Bank Park opened its doors.  CBP sold its naming rights to Citizens Bank – a whopping $95 million over 25 years – which is why the home of the Phillies is named after, well, a bank. 

Citizens Bank Park quickly became my “happy place.” My first daughter, Ella, was born in January of 2004; whenever we can get a babysitter during baseball season, date night is at the ballpark.  (We now have three daughters, ages 7, 5 and 2, and they’re all Phillies fans.)  The park became our favorite place to escape, for lack of a better word.  In my mind, there’s nothing better on a summer night than good friends, cold beer, and the Phils.  I know that the majority of you reading this know what I mean; you walk into the gates and suddenly, all is right with the world.  I’ve been to three games thus far this season, and I’m getting antsy for my next one.  I’ve been on many dates there with the big guy, we’ve brought our kids, and I’ve gone with friends.  This past weekend, I went with two of my best girlfriends, and the three of us had a ridiculous amount of fun. 

One of my favorite things about Citizens Bank Park is Ashburn Alley.  For those of you who haven’t hung out there, you’re missing out.  It’s fun if you bring your family, but it’s just as fun for a child-free trip.  You can look into the bullpen, see the field clearly, and eat.  There are -foot bronze statues in Ashburn Alley: Steve Carlton, Richie Ashburn, Mike Schmidt and Robin Roberts.

This past weekend, a friend of mine visited the park for the first time (sad, I know).  His anticipation was akin to a child waiting for Santa’s arrival.  The only differences: he’s 34, and it’s April.  Ok, so the analogy isn’t great, but you get my point.  He couldn’t wait for his first trip, and I told him that he would not be disappointed.  I was so eager to find out what he thought of his visit.  He summed up his impression well.  “I love the personality of the place … everything there lets you know you’re in the Phillies’ home.”

I think that’s what I love most about CBP.  It’s all Phillies, all the time.  Veterans Stadium was great, but I like that the Phils have their own home.  It doesn’t hurt that there’s not a bad seat in the whole place.  Some people wonder why games are consistently sold out (unlike the stadiums of other teams in our division).  When you go to Citizens Bank Park, you’re not just attending a baseball game.  It’s the entire atmosphere, the experience, and the memories that go along with the game that matter.  Forget Disneyland.  Citizens Bank Park, to me, is the happiest place on earth. 

I’d like to thank RDT for his input on this post.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this, I feel the same way. We have the Sunday package and our seats are in Ashburn Alley, its great out there. Before I leave to go to the game I always say hi ho, hi ho, its off to Citizens Bank Park I go, its the happiest place on earth

    ReplyDelete