Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Oswalt Remains Unemployed

By Amy McGinnis

With ten days left before pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training in Clearwater, it seems that Ruben Amaro, Jr. has no plans to offer Roy Oswalt a contract.

Little Roy is seeking a one-year contract, but with the Phils, there seems to be one thing standing in his way. "We really don't have any room for him. We have five, six starters, and our resources are about where we want to be right now," Ruben said. "I think he wouldn't mind coming back, but I don't know that's feasible or a real possibility."

Joe Blanton and Roy Oswalt missed portions of the 2011 season due to injuries, and some would say that the two RHPs are interchangeable.  It makes sense: each has four pitches, postseason experience, and less-than-stellar numbers from their abridged season last year.  The biggest difference is that Blanton will be making $8.5M this season, and Oswalt appears to be set to make nothing. 

If we look at last season's numbers, they're not a fair assessment for either pitcher, since Oswalt pitched 139 and Blanton pitched just 41.1.  The fact is, though, that Blanton's 1-2 record, 5.01 ERA and 1.476 WHIP fall just short of Oswalt's 9-10 record, 3.69 ERA and 1.338 WHIP.

So, let's visit a fantasy land for a minute where another team would agree to take Blanton for this season.  I would love to have Oswalt back for one more year.  I've always been a big fan of his.  His tempo still impresses me, because he wastes no time between pitches.  He and Blanton each throw a fastball in the low 90s, but Oswalt always looks more aggressive.  In addition to the fastball, Blanton and Oswalt both throw a curveball, slider and a changeup (Oswalt added the Vulcan changedup in 2010). 

In this fantasy land of mine, Blanton gets picked up and we suddenly have room for Little Roy (insert inappropriate joke about Roy and Joe taking up the same amount of room).  I like Oswalt's attitude and grit.  Remember Manny Ramirez's line drive to the back of Little Roy's ear? Oswalt stood up and adjusted his hat.  Dubee had to say, "Yes, you are leaving this game to get checked out."  Remember Oswalt playing left field in August 2010? I love that little redneck and I think swapping him for Blanton for 2012 would reap big rewards.

To be fair, I don't mean any disrespect to Blanton.  I think he serves well as a #4 or a #5.  He catches a lot of criticism in this city, and most of it is unfounded.  My intention is not to badmouth Big Joe, so save the hate mail.  I prefer Roy Oswalt, though, and I think he'd make a good addition to our rotation this season.  In my fantasy land, anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment