Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Should Jimmy Stay or Should He Go?

By Amy McCormick

Since the untimely demise of the 2011 Philadelphia Phillies, there’s not much to talk about.  Sure, we’re watching the league championship series, and we’ll watch the World Series, but if you’re anything like me, you’ll do it bitterly.  I predicted a Rangers-Phils series and I’m not going to get it.  Sigh.  I suppose it’s time to start thinking about next season.

A big question that has been on the minds of Phillies fans all season has been: will Jimmy Rollins return once he is a free agent?  There are a few things to consider here, and as always, I’ll throw in my two cents along the way.

J-Roll has only ever known baseball in Philadelphia.  He’s just three months older than I am (so please save the “but he’s so old” comments) and came in the second round of the 1996 amateur draft.  He and I weren’t even old enough to vote then; he’s been with the organization a long time.  He has spent the last decade in the bigs, serving as the team’s leader, whether you like to admit that or not.  Jimmy’s charisma alone is enough to make fans optimistic.

Jimmy likes being here.  I have no doubt that he wants the Phils to meet his salary requirements.  "I look good in red, I think," Rollins has said. "You go back to when I got drafted, I didn't know much about the Phillies. But when I put that hat on, looking at those first pictures when I got drafted, holding a bat, you know, and a Phillies T-shirt on, it started to look real good on me. I think I've worn it pretty well over the years. I really haven't thought about putting on any other colors other than the red-and-white pinstripes."

It seems that the Phillies would like to keep Jimmy as well.  "There's no question we want Jimmy back and be in our uniform and play shortstop for us for the next several years," general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said. "Whether that happens kind of depends on if we get to the finish line on it. But Jimmy knows where we stand. Those things will be private."  As usual, don’t expect RAJ to spill any details; we’ll have to wait until the deal is signed (or not signed) to hear what went on in negotiations.

So, if Jimmy was 2007 NL MVP and a Silver Slugger, and he’s a three-time All-Star, why is there even a debate about whether or not he should stay? Well, to begin with, he hasn’t put up numbers anywhere near his MVP season since, well, 2007.  It could be that he’s not getting any younger.  It could be that injuries have kept him from playing full seasons.  Whatever the reason, 2007 Jimmy and 2011 Jimmy are hard to even compare.  It’s symptomatic of those respective teams, as well.  In 2007, the Phils fought like hell (and were thrilled to have won) the NL East.  In 2011, complacency took over.  In 2007, Rollins hit .296.  In 2011, he posted a .268 batting average.  His defense has been fine, but the “take a shot every time Jimmy pops up on the first pitch” drinking game got old awhile ago.  Personally, I don’t like change just for the sake of change.  But sometimes, things get static; sometimes, they gradually slide downhill.  For me, it’s a toss-up: Jimmy’s leadership / personality / swagger or some new, younger (yes, I said it) blood at shortstop?  Rollins has made it very clear that he wants five years.  With his downhill trend, I don’t know that I’d sign him for five.  He’ll be 38 right after that fifth season, and I don’t care how much yoga his wife has him do … his speed, reflexes and range of motion will gradually decline. 

The Phillies’ payroll is expected to mimic this past season’s pretty closely.  That being said, we’re looking at a potentially large chunk of change being saved if we unload a few players whose contracts will be up.  Madson, Ibanez, Hamels and Lidge are signed through 2011, and Oswalt has a $16 million option.  As much as I love Little Roy, I see Hamels as the only must-sign in that group.  If that’s the case, then maybe the Phils could afford to pick up a new shortstop while they’re shopping for closers. 

I like Jimmy Rollins.  I always have.  He’ll be the first to tell you, though, that this is a business.  He’s not the only one in a Phillies uniform that I think should move on, but Charlie Manuel is another post for another day.  It doesn’t make me happy to say it, but my vote (sometimes I like to pretend that I actually get one) is to not break our backs to meet Jimmy’s salary demands.  As usual, we’ll have to wait and see.  In the meantime, let’s watch Phillies-less baseball with total disdain and wish for quick, easy recoveries for our injured and surgery-bound … including, but not limited to, but especially Cole Hamels.

No comments:

Post a Comment