Thursday, May 12, 2011

Utley Won't Save This Offense

By Amy McCormick

The Phillies have the best record in Major League Baseball.  They’re currently 24-12; the Marlins trail by three games in the NL East.  Don’t celebrate just yet.  The Phils also only have 34 extra-base hits with runners on, a slugging percentage that is on the decline, and 156 runs scored (fourteenth in all of baseball).  Where is the offense?

I, for one, am tired of seeing ground balls hit into double plays, runners stranded, and batters swinging at garbage (I’m talking to you, Wilson Valdez.  You were swinging in the dirt last night).  It’s hard to complain when Philadelphia boasts MLB’s best win-loss record, but I’ll do it anyway.  Why?   The NL East may not offer huge competition, but I have a feeling that St. Louis, Cincinnati, Texas and Colorado – all upcoming opponents – will produce better offense.  Aside from the Rockies, each of those teams has scored more runs this season than the Phillies. 

So, what’s the solution?  Please tell me you don’t think Chase Utley will single-handedly save this lineup. 

Utley has begun his rehab and is playing decently well in Clearwater; we hope to see him return to the Phils this month.  That’s fantastic news.  Of course we want our All-Star second baseman back from his long absence.  Will it be enough to turn the offense around?  Doubtful. 

What’s the answer, then?  Fire Greg Gross and send him to hang out with Milt Thompson?  Switch the batting order?  Purchase new batting gloves?  Come on, Charlie.  It’s not rocket science.  These players are perfectly capable of getting on base and sending one another home to score.  I think Manuel is a little too laissez-faire with his players; I’m not asking him to micromanage them, but when the bats are coming up short, it ultimately falls on him.  The Phils’ lineup needs to be held accountable.  Manuel wants the best team possible – pitching, batting and fielding.  He needs to start demanding it and expecting it. 

Surely, the return of Utley (and Ruiz, I haven’t forgotten about him) should improve production.  I just don’t think it’s wise to expect Chase to swoop in and save the day.  I’m sure some of you think that I have no right to complain, since Philadelphia’s winning record is better than the rest of Major League Baseball.  Well, if we want the best overall team, then pitching isn’t going to cut it.  We all saw Cliff Lee strike out sixteen and still get the loss, yes?  Run support is crucial.  I’m excited that Chase is on his way back, and I’m sure he’ll contribute … but he’s not Superman.  I don’t like seeing a perfectly capable lineup coming up short. 

What did they tell us all back in little league?  Everybody hits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment