Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Rookie's Guide to Clearwater

By Amy McCormick

I’ve always wanted to visit Clearwater for the Phillies’ Spring Training.  Hopefully, next year, I’ll be able to make it happen.  I want to make the most of the experience, so I looked for some insiders’ tips. Here is what I’ve learned.

Where to sit. Apparently, players will only give autographs to those sitting in sections 119 and 120.  If your seats are in a different section, you can swap them for tickets, as long as the new tickets are less expensive.  In order to do this, you need to get to the ticket office at 9:00 am.  I’ve been told that the staff is quite strict about not letting you into a section unless you have a ticket to be there.

When should I arrive for the game?  The gates open at 10:30 am for a 1:05 game, but the players don’t arrive until around 12:20.  If you’re fortunate enough to be sitting in section 119 or 120, you can ask players for autographs.  If you have children with you, have them ask, and politeness is key.  A player is more inclined to sign an autograph for someone (especially a child) who addresses him as “Mr. Hamels” rather than “Cole.” Remember to say please and thank you!

What do I do until 12:20?  There are other fields at the Carpenter Complex, and you might be able to see some of your favorite players working out.  The complex is located just past the stadium on Old Coachman Road.

How does it compare to CBP?  You’ll spend as much money, even for parking.  You can get your hand stamped for re-entry if you wish to travel from field to field.  You cannot bring any food or drink into the stadium. 

Where can I eat?  I hear that Lenny’s, Frenchy’s Rockaway and Palm Pavilion all have good food. Lenny’s has excellent breakfast, and some of the minor leaguers eat there.  For dinner, Pete and Shorty’s on Route 60 West is supposed to be good.

Where is a good place to stay?  This really depends on who is going.  A family of four will obviously want different things than a couple of bachelors on vacation.  Clearwater Beach is different from Clearwater, and the impression that I got was that Clearwater Beach is the more desirable side. You have a wide variety to choose from; and you can stay in anything from a hotel room to a suite to a resort.

What else is there to do in Clearwater?  If you ask me, I’d go to Clearwater for one thing and one thing only.  That being said, there’s always the beach, and there are golf courses, a library, an aquarium, and shopping.  Magnolia Street seems to be the place to go for bars, restauraunts, and shopping.  At Pier 60 on Clearwater Beach, at around 3:00, vendors open and there are street performers.  Like I said, though, if I am ever fortunate enough to make the trip, I will be there for baseball, baseball, and more baseball.

For those of you lucky enough to visit Spring Training, I hope that you thoroughly enjoy your experience.  When in doubt, ask a staff member. 








I’d like to give a special thanks to Cheryl Rothwell-Hansbury, Beth Siwy MacKinnon and Janine Jorett Williams for their help with compiling information.

No comments:

Post a Comment